Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's almost time to say goodbye

As I walked down the road in the heat, and as sweat poured down my back and legs I looked around the street where I walked. I saw dirt, trees, rubbish and people saying good afternoon in French. A little girl ran up to me just to shake my hand with a huge smile she wore on her face. It was during this walk that I thought to myself, this has been my home the past two years....and in about one month I will be leaving this place. It seems so unreal to me and I am sad to go. I have met unbelievable people out here and I have seen things that I thought I'd never see. I have seen poverty like I never imagined it to be and I have seen a pure rawness in the people here that makes it seem so much more real. To think I won't be seeing a woman with a baby on her back and a bowl upon her head walking down the street anymore...seems so abnormal. This has been my home for two years. I have lived among these amazing people....and very soon I will be saying goodbye. I don't think I am ready to say goodbyes. I think Africa will remain in my heart and soul forever. There is no way I can erase or forget what impact Africa has had on me. I am leaving a totally different woman than when I came here two years ago. Africa has forever changed me. I am truly thankful for that. Yet, I am sad to say goodbye.

It is weird to think I will be moving on without Africa in my future. I don't know how badly I will truly miss Africa until I leave for an extended period of time. I can only predict that it will not be easy. I am sure I will be comparing Thailand to Africa. My hope is that I can let go of Africa to some degree so I can make room for Thailand to grow in my heart.

Please pray that God will be with me during this transition. I know it won't be easy to say goodbye. Yet, it will also be challenging to move to a new country, a new culture and a new place. Please pray for me to be filled with God's peace during these changing times. Thank you for your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment